Her Majesty The Queen, Patron, visited Berkhamsted School as part of the school’s 475th Anniversary celebrations.
On arrival, The Queen inspected a Guard of Honour formed from the school's Combined Cadet Force, which celebrates its 125th anniversary this year.
Her Majesty watched displays celebrating various aspects of school life, including choral performances by St Peter’s Church Choir (featuring pupils from seven local schools) and the School’s Chamber Choir at St Peter’s Church and a performance by pupils of an exert from their forthcoming production of Disney’s ‘The Lion King Jr’.
Afterwards The Queen attended a reception and met members of the local community, including the heads of local schools and charities, before attending a lunch.
Before departing Her Majesty unveiled a plaque to commemorate the visit, closing the day's celebrations.
In addition, The Queen briefly visited the parish Church of St Peter’s to view the restoration of the Coat of Arms of Elizabeth I and unveiled a new board to celebrate
Her Majesty’s Diamond Jubilee.
Berkhamsted School was founded in 1541 by John Incent, Dean of St Paul’s, initially as a school of just 144 boys. Today the family of schools that make up Berkhamsted Schools Group is responsible for the education of over 1,800 pupils. There are enduring features of the old school - the original School Hall, completed in 1544, still stands.
Berkhamsted is a school with a tradition of producing interesting people with a spirit of adventure and is a school firmly rooted in the local community.
The Queen's visit on 6th May was the first time, as far as records show, that a reigning monarch has visited the school. On 13th June 1958, Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother visited the Boys’ School to open Newcroft, the Science block, and the Girls’ School to open the new South Wing. On 13th June 1935, His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales (later King Edward VIII) visited Berkhamsted School to officially open the Gym at Castle Campus. The last Royal visit was on 28th April 2004 when The Duke of Edinburgh opened the Knox-Johnston Sports Centre at Kings Campus.